It should be noted that a literacy narrative is not just a story from your life, first of all, it is a story about how you became literate and the impact of literacy on your life. If you want to write a literacy narrative, then you need to choose the most appropriate story as well as use descriptive language to tell it your reader. This type of writing assignment is related to language and its use in life. You talk about your relationship with language and its various aspects such as reading, writing and speaking.
You can write about your own experience of learning foreign languages or about reading a book and so on. The main task is to explain how this process affected you. You need to talk about various difficulties and barriers in terms of communication, learning and language. Literacy narratives can also have different styles and topics. First of all, it all depends on you and your choice. Create your own mood and style.
A literacy narrative has a lot of characteristics, among the most important are the following:
- This is a personal story about your personal experience that is related to language.
- Begin with the most interesting moment or situation, the so-called "hook". It will help to attract the reader's attention. Tell them about your first reading or writing experience.
- Focus is the main feature of this assignment. Focus readers' attention only on the most important moments and details of your story.
- Meaning. Use descriptive language as well as words and try to tell as much as possible about your experience to explore the meaning of this story to you. Explain how your language skills have changed or, conversely, you have lost interest in them.
- Different challenges. Be sure to write about the challenges you have faced in developing your language skills. Describe how your ideas, thoughts and thinking have changed.
Don't forget about the impact. It is obvious that such literacy narrative has a great influence on the reader. Your story can make a person think about important things on the example of your life path. Tell them about your inner journey. How it changed you as well as made you a better version of yourself.